Rockford, IL – On February 27, 2016 at the Rockford Symphony Orchestra Golden Ball, a local music educator from the Rockford Public Schools will be honored with the Outstanding Music Educator of the Year Award. This educator will be someone who uses creative, innovative, and positive ways to reach children through music. The RSO’s Outstanding Music Educator Award recognizes an individual who instills and inspires a love of music in the children and adults of Northern Illinois. The purpose of this award is to promote a greater understanding of and appreciation for music education, as well as to honor those individuals who are making a real difference in our community through their dedication to music education.
Nominees were determined by RPS 205 teachers. Nominees were reviewed by a panel of musicians and educators and finalists selected.
There are four music teachers that are finalists, they are:
Jennifer Loomis, Montessori
Lisa Weckerly, Marsh Elementary
Lisa Eaton, King Elementary
Dianna Heddinger, Eisenhower Middle School
The criteria for nomination for Outstanding Music Educator of the Year Award
- Made a lasting difference in the lives of students of all abilities and backgrounds.
- Routinely goes "above and beyond the call of duty” by extending efforts beyond the classroom.
- Makes a significant impact on their community through music education.
- Instills a life-long appreciation of music in their students.
- Inspires students to reach appropriately high levels of musical understanding and ability.
- Demonstrates longevity in the field of music education by their many years of work.
The Rockford Symphony Orchestra recognizes that we exist in large part because a music educator somewhere touched the lives of each of our players and audience members, instilling in them a love of music that makes our organization what it is today.
The Golden Ball will be held at the Coronado Performing Arts Center on Saturday, February 27, 2016 beginning at 5:30PM. Tickets are available by calling 815-965-0049.